As part of the HCA’s Affordable Homes Programme, we were appointed by North Durham housing provider, Derwentside Homes as their strategic project manager to oversee a £12m investment programme over a three-year period. This included the project management of three assets – Castle Court, Derwent Crescent and Lynwood House.
Elvet have been engaged to deliver this programme since 2012 and we are pleased to say that it was successfully delivered on time and within budget.
Our main responsibilities included:
- Procurement process – advising on the most appropriate route, co-ordination and management of tender documents, tender evaluation and preparing the contract documents.
- HCA compliance – Ensuring that the scheme was delivered in accordance with the HCA contract to maximise the allocated funding for the project.
- Financial control – Ensuring that each scheme offered value for money within the client’s budget. Agreement of interim valuations, variations and the final account.
- Project Management – monitoring the programme, liaising with the contractor to ensure key milestones were achieved including preparation of progress reports to the client.
- Development cost plans in accordance with RIBA stages.
- Financial appraisals to determine the overall viability of the scheme.
- Stakeholder management
- Negotiations to acquire land.
- Liaising with the legal team to agree development agreements, lease agreements etc.
The following schemes were included in the HCA programme:
The delivery of this project brought together three individual buildings into one accommodation consisting of 41 luxury self-contained one and two bedroom apartments. The development includes communal lounges, multi-functional rooms, communal kitchens, gym area, community gardens and five 2-bedroom new build bungalows were built within the grounds of the development.
The scheme itself was challenging as it involved the conversion of three buildings - two of which that were non-residential and was situated within a conservation area, restricting the overall design. The scheme was awarded the RICS North East Awards Residential Development of the year.
Derwent Crescent - £2m
The project was a new build development, consisting of 25 three bedroom houses for affordable rent.
Lynwood House - £5.4m
The project required the demolition of an existing care home and construction of 34 2 bedroom apartments, community centre and GP surgery. The scheme was delivered using BIM Stage 2 design delivery, as a pilot to determine the long-term benefits to the client.